Monday 16 February 2015

Dematerialisation

It's always interesting when a fan made YouTube video does the round and this latest one sees user John Smith try a new take on dematerialisation. 

John Smith: "Since the TARDIS' dematerialisation effect has remained largely unchanged for the past fifty years, I thought it might be interesting to try out a new approach. So this is my attempt at capturing what travelling through time and space might look like from the point of view of the TARDIS- from take-off to landing, all in one shot."

 

I think this effect is superb, a really interesting idea. Usually we see the TARDIS dematerialise from the point of view of a passer by, rather than from someone following the TARDIS. I don't think it contradicts what dematerialisation is, but simply changes the perspective it is viewed from. It would be awesome to see this effect on the show. 

That said, I see a few issues with this effect. For one thing we hardly ever see the full journey in a Doctor Who episode. We might see the Doctor arrive or leave but not usually where he has been or gone. I also fear this only really works when the TARDIS is parked in an open space like a square or a forest as seen in the video. The Doctor seems to like his TARDIS parked up against a wall or in a cupboard. I don't think the effect would be anywhere near as exciting if we just saw the contents of a cupboard spin around. A great idea though and it is something that I think could be used on occasion, when it works to follow the TARDIS rather than see it arrive or leave.


No comments:

Post a Comment