Tuesday 14 April 2015

Aliens of London in “Real Life”

This is the third in a series of Doctor Who in “Real Life” posts. The idea is that I discuss how episodes work from a real world perspective. To celebrate it’s ten year anniversary, today I am looking at the episode Aliens of London.

Some time before the events in London, certain areas of the internet already believed there was some kind of conspiracy in the British government. One site posted this:

image

Rose Tyler was reported missing to the police who ran a large campaign locally to find her. Much of the suspicions fell on her boyfriend, Mickey Smith who wrote online:

Their net of suspicion has closed in around me - they refuse to consider the evidence I have of what REALLY happened. And of who it really affects.

The following poster was put up around the Powell Estate and the local area.

rose_tyler_missing_flyer_by_terrasolo-d7i4tti

The spaceship crashing into Big Ben and landing on the Thames was witnessed by a considerable number of people. Surprisingly little footage of the incident was captured, probably due to the speed of the incident, but this was one photo taken by a witness.

ccce05da48d96bee3fb5c67af3a836bdd13d4eac

Various people told of their sightings of the event- here are a few witness statements:

Bill: I was on my first vacation in years. I saw the crash through my video camera! I tried to get closer, but your army wouldn't let me anywhere near. They even took my camera! I want to know who to contact to get it back! I'll tell you this. I was scared out of my mind on the flight home!

Connor: I was site seeing with my family when there was a really loud humming! i didn't have a clue what was happening and suddenly this huge ship flew stragiht over and crashed into big ben! The sound was immense i saw all the shards of big ben falling from the sky! i was really scared but was told to evacuate the area!

Andy H: I didn't see the crash but I was visiting my nan in Albion Hospital when all these army men turned up and turfed everyone out. Apparently they put the alien in there. There were men with guns everywhere and despite what was going on they kept telling us there was nothing to see. Yeah, right.

Padrone: A soldier told me that it was just an experimental plane that crashed and the pilot was killed. He said they haven't named him yet as his family has to be told. They UFO story started because people panicked!

The incident led to various parties and lots of internet memes, like the one below:

cb1e469e7842f4e0323cd439e6de44f9c778b2fb

Though the Albion Hospital was supposed to be sealed off to the public, an image from within did make it online:

dade700ad01190911af2cd83f490cd2f63916cdf

The person who posted the image also shared a sketch of the supposed pilot of the spaceship.

f67076f703ef6f0dc22fa6c1be7fdf7ffea82958

That’s all for this week but keep checking back as I continue by look back at Series 1 of Doctor Who!

(Again, much of the content comes from here. The missing poster comes from here although is an exact copy of the one in the episode)

No comments:

Post a Comment